SW 13th St & W University Ave, Gainesville, FL
Bryan Hall is historically significant to the University of Florida as the first “permanent” home of the College of Law, which is the second oldest law school in the state. The Law College was founded in 1909 with an initial class of thirty-one students. It occupied space in Thomas Hall and moved to Language (now Anderson) Hall shortly thereafter. The Florida Board of Control ordered preparation of plans for a new building to house the College of Law in 1913, and construction began in 1914. The structure was completed and occupied in November of the same year.
Bryan Hall has a certain added significance as a point of experimental departure for the principal campus architect, William Edwards. Unlike his other University of Florida buildings, Bryan was designed to be an austere structure; however, its bracketed eaves, typical of the bungalow residential style so popular in Florida at the time, provide a distinct contrast with Edwards’ other campus structures.