City of Alachua and Downtown Historic District
15100 NW 142nd Terrace, Alachua, FL
Upon completion to Gainesville of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railway in May 1884, citizens from the former county seat at Newnansville were among those who moved to the present site of Alachua which was near the railroad. The city is located in a productive farming area. The Bellamy Road, a national highway from St. Augustine to Pensacola authorized in 1824, originally passed near the northeast city boundary. The post office was established April 30, 1887. The city was incorporated April 12, 1905.
The City of Alachua is a Florida Historical Marker, the City of Alachua Downtown Historic District is a National Register of Historic Places.
Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State