City Hall, City of Gainesville
200 East University Avenue, Gainesville, FL Between NE 1st St & NE 3rd St
Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth Alachua County Seat of government. The University of Florida and its educational predecessors have been located in Gainesville since the 1850’s.
Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials