East Florida Seminary
419 NE 1st Street, Gainesville, FL 32601
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville’s need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by he Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school building, erected after an earlier structure burned in 1833, was converted to use as a fellowship hall by the First Methodist Church, at 419 N.E. 1st Avenue. The marker can be found at 200 East University Avenue, Gainesville, FL.
Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials