Flint Hall, Gainesville, FL
Flint Hall is historically significant in the development of the University of Florida as its first structure designed for use by the scientific community and as a long time home of the Florida State Museum. Construction of what was then called Science Hall began in September 1909 and was completed the following spring.
The departments of botany, chemistry, horticulture, physics, zoology, and bacteriology occupied the first floor; the University Museum moved from temporary quarters in Thomas Hall to the second floor. The physical propinquity thus established symbolized the relationship between academic science and the object-oriented learning provided by the museum facility, renamed the Florida State Museum in 1914. Many distinguished scientists taught in Science Hall, among them Dr. Edward R. Flint, for whom Science Hall was renamed.