Maj. James B. Bailey House
1121 NW 6th St., Gainesville, FL
Also known as Rest Haven, this is one of the oldest houses in the city of Gainesville. It was constructed about 1850 by Major James B. Bailey, a prominent citizen of Alachua County. Bailey was a leading proponent of moving the county seat away from Newnansville to a new place, later known as Gainesville, part of which was to be located on his own plantation. The Bailey House was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Although it has been slightly altered during its existence, Major Bailey’s house survives as a good example of the Antebellum domestic architecture of this area.