Spanish Cattle Ranching
200 E University Ave, Gainesville, FL 32601
Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was corrupted into “Alachua County.” English raids destroyed the Indian civilization and Spanish ranches, although large wild herds of cattle were not uncommon during Seminole War years (1835-1842).
This marker can be found on E. University Ave near the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Garden.
Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
TAGS: All,19th Century